The Wisconsin State Fair is back through Aug. 10, and with it come a host of traditions. Some are standard fair fare — fried food, carnival rides, animals, prime people-watching opportunities — but others are distinctly Wisconsin.
Here are 12 of the most Wisconsin things spotted at the fair this year.
1. Watching people make cream puffs
Eating the state fair staple isn’t enough — you have to WATCH them being made.
2. Five kinds of flavored milk for a quarter
The fair’s best deal, although the jury’s still out on this year’s new flavors: birthday cake and fruit hoops.
3. 25 kinds of grilled cheese
Because one just isn’t enough.
4. A cow named Moose
You can be whoever you want to be, Moose.
5. Barrels as tables
Roll out the barrel, so we can have somewhere to put our beer.
6. A kid and his calf
Cue the awwws…
7. Roasted corn on the cob
A Wisconsin State Fair tradition for nearly six decades. Pass the salt and napkins.
8. This T-shirt
Is it a bar for just dairy products? A bar WITH dairy products? Oh, the possibilities.
9. Wisconsin potatoes
Idaho shmidaho. We'll take ours baked and slathered in cheese, please.
10. A holster for your giant cup
So your hands are free for more important things, like eating food on a stick. Cup-holder lanyards are also permitted.
11. All of the cheese
Some like it hot, some like it cold. Some like it on a stick, three days old.
12. These two things together
Fried cheese curds + beer = Wisconsin bliss.
Find more fair coverage on Tap Milwaukee.
- John Hildebrand's 'The Heart of Things' chronicles everyday Midwestern life
- Driftless fall
- John Hildebrand: Lifeboat
- A cottage by the lake in Mercer
- 12 distinctly Wisconsin things at the Wisconsin State Fair
- Logging history runs deep in Wisconsin's Northwoods
- State Fair wannabes
- How Wisconsin got its borders
- John Hildebrand: Family reunion
- Guide to summer festivals in Wisconsin